Friday, December 11, 2015

The novel is finally here

This has been a long, long journey. I'll be going into more detail in future blogs, but suffice it to say, this didn't happen overnight. The reason I stuck with it and kept coming back to this book all these years is the subject matter. The idea of genetically changing a human being in the womb from homosexual to heterosexual has got to be one of the most controversial subjects anyone can dream up. But it's not a dream. Although I know of no one who is outright trying to do this, gene editing in utero is becoming a reality. It's only a matter of time before we're to the point where parents can choose. Whether they have the right to choose is what this book is all about.

I took great care in exploring all sides of this issue, and presenting the story in a manner that exposes the pros and cons of each. This is not an agenda piece. Far from it. This is a highly-researched, thought-provoking novel designed to chronicle what very well may play out if and when science advances to the point where it becomes a reality. And I believe that day is not too far off.

As you'll read in the acknowledgements, I got some valuable advice on different aspects of the novel. A lot of the story revolves around a lawsuit, and I drew from my family's vast experience in law to make those parts as real as possible. My father practiced law for the better part of 60 years in between and among his stints in the state legislature and later in the United States Congress. He took the time to painstakingly go through my manuscript some years back and make notes, and I incorporated his advice into this book. As fate would have it, he left this earth just as the book was going to press and never got to see it to fruition. I regret that I had not done it sooner. It was too late for an official dedication page. So I take the opportunity here to dedicate this book to my late father, Tim Valentine, who would have taken great delight in sitting in his easy chair and reliving the story one more time, knowing he had made it that much better.
__________________________________________________________

Phil Valentine is an award-winning talk show host, screenwriter, and documentary producer. His radio show is syndicated with Westwood One.

No comments:

Post a Comment